11/9/09

Stalled Out on the Road to the Record

I've been getting some queries lately on the status of my quest for the Dr. Mario World Record. The honest, sad news is that I haven't made any progress since the last trip to Funspot. It's inexcusable I know but let me outline the problem for you.

1. Funspot is 1-2 hours away and really requires a lengthy visit to work up some good scores. It takes a day if you go - that day is shot. And... well... it's been hard to find a day to give to the cause.
2. I've been playing at home but even getting in a game on the Nintendo or the Wii takes about 2 hours... which requires me monopolizing the only TV in the house.
3. I'm mostly sticking to the Nintendo at this point as its speed/controls/etc. more closely mirrors the arcade platform. While I'd love to get all the high scores, I think it's prudent to know one off at a time.

That said, I had an idea this morning to purchase an old school Game Boy and a copy of the old school Dr. Mario game... unnecessary? Probably. But, think about it - with a gameboy, I can play while we (or someone) watch tv or on my commute or... elsewhere.

I'm holding off on the purchase for the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if I ultimately fail to control this impulse. I want the record gosh darn it. This is crap. I want to see my name in lights! Or at least in boring, grey font on the Twin Galaxies website.

No comments:

Post a Comment