7/28/09

Minimum Wage Goes Up!

I meant for my first post to serve as a sort of introduction to myself and my situation but what we want is not always meant to be.

Instead, I'm passing on this tidbit to you, fellow worker bees. The minimum wage is being raised! I thought I was past the point in my life where the minimum wage was relevant to my worker status but, given the economy and my plan to quit my reliable, fairly well paying office job... it's suddenly become more relevant.

How many others out there are thinking of quitting their steady job in these times of economic uncertainty? I have a hunch that I'm not the only one who is putting happiness and respect over security and cash money.

What's really interesting about this wage hike is the debate that's followed it - is the minimum wage hike good or bad for the economy? I don't pretend to be an economist (in fact, economics is what kept me from following a path towards a business minor in college) but this debate seems a bit petty when we consider that the minimum wage earns you a yearly wage that is still far below the federal poverty line. Seems like our debate might be a little out of whack.

Click here to read the article on Consumerist

No comments:

Post a Comment