4/21/10

Book 15 - Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

I've always been a fan of Dave Eggers - I've read a couple of his books (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and You Shall Know Our Velocity) and I'm a big fan of McSweeneys and 826. While I like most of what I've read from Dave Eggers, I seem to prefer his non fiction, memoirish books. Zeitoun is no different - I really found myself drawn into this book and didn't want to step away from the story.

At this point, we're all pretty familiar with the stories that have come out of Katrina. I'm ashamed to say that I had the feeling that I knew all of the stories... it was a cynical thing to think and I'm glad to have read Zeitoun and been reminded of how many angles that a story can have, how many specific interactions and characters and voices can come out of an event, even those on a much smaller scale than New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina.

It sounds cheesy but, Zeitoun is riveting because it is both disgusting and humiliating (as an American) and amazing and encouraging (as a person, capable of love and renewal). It's a story full of possibility and hope and the blight that comes with being a person of this world. Zeitoun and his wife Kathy are full, well rounded characters (it helps that they're real people) and you want to know what happens to them, you want to hear their story, you root for them.

Dave Eggers is a great writer but the magic of his writing in this story is that he doesn't impose his voice or his point of view on the story in a negative way. The words are put together in a way that adds ease and engagement but doesn't make you feel like you're reading a public service announcement or a tear jerker (though I have to admit that tears were jerked). Zeitoun is marked by an unoppressive voice and an engaging, unbelievable story of cruelty but also of love and resilience.

Okay, this does make it sound like a bit of a tear jerker but I'm not doing it justice. Just trust me on this one, read it.

If you need more persuasion, Timothy Egan's review: After the Deluge makes all of my points but with better prose and more beautiful writing.

Another beautiful review by Daniel Hahn of The Independent

The review by Valet Reader gives you the reaction of someone who doesn't typically love Eggers and offers some pretty interesting Google Maps images of Zeitoun's properties

An article about Zeitoun - the man, not the book

Already read the book and want to do something? Why not check out The Zeitoun Foundation. I bet they know how you can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment