2/28/11

Dear Migraine... We Need to Talk


For those of you who haven't heard of WEGO Health - it's a fabulous site (and happens to be where I work). I participated in this month's Health Activist Blog Carnival and wrote a letter to my Migraines (don't even get me started).

You can check out my post on WEGO Health but I've also copied it here!

Dear Migraine,

Nobody likes to have these conversations but we really need to talk. Our relationship has got some problems and I feel like I'm the only one that's paying any attention to them. I've done all I can to pay attention to your needs but I can't let your needs rule my life and I can't let your needs be more important than my own. We need to compromise because our relationship is all about you, and not about me.

I hate to tell you this but even my friends and family agree - you're a bummer to have around. They want to spend time with me WITHOUT you and they want to know that I'm not going to have to cancel at the last minute because of you. Frankly, I'd like to know that too. I'd like to know that I'm not going to have to miss a birthday or a meal or even just a quiet night with my husband because I need to pay attention to you.

We both know that's unlikely but what if we meet in the middle? I already avoid the triggers that get you going, doing my best to feed you things you love, things that keep you satisfied and quiet. I hydrate and watch my medication and my diet, I think about you all the time but it seems that you never think of me.

What if we set aside some time for you in my life? I'm willing to agree to give you the occasional Sunday if you'll give me back my Saturdays and work days. And maybe eventually, we can go our seperate ways.

What do you think? Can we compromise? I promise to continue to avoid red wine and drink water constantly. I promise to do my best to get enough sleep and avoid foods that make you angry. And in return, you can find some new hobbies? Maybe find an outlet for yourself that isn't painful?

What do you think Migraine? I want to make this work but I can't think only of you.

Sincerely,

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment