3/15/11

Books 52-55: Recap

I'm not even trying to pretend I'm remotely on time recapping my 2010 "Year of Reading" but... finally, here is the end of 2010!

Book 52 - Men and Dogs by Katie Crouch
Finishing out the year with some moderately fluffy Kindle reading. Katie Crouch's novel didn't break any literary barriers or blow my mind but it was a solidly good read. I identified with the characters and was interested in the plot, I wanted to find out what happen. And I did. And then I forgot. Sorry Katie, it was a nice book.
(288 pages; 3.25 stars)

Oye, this book. For those of you who aren't aware, I'm a bit of a crafty girl myself. I craft and sew and DYI and most importantly, I obsessively follow quite a few craft blogs - which is where I heard about this "crafty" novel. I admit it, I was intrigued. And, in the end, it wasn't a bad book exactly but I say again, Oye. The characters were less than one-dimensional, the plot was incredibly see-through... it just wasn't great. I almost stopped reading a quarter of the way through (and for the record, that's saying something - I've only stopped reading two or three books). It got better after that but still, not something I would ever recommend.
(335 pages; 2.75 stars)

Book 54 - Between the Assassinations by Aravind Adiga
I LOVED Aviga's first novel (White Tiger) and so, was excited that there was a new one. Between the Assassinations is very much in the style of the first novel, which I dug, and it's clearly another book in the same vein. I liked the book, but I have to admit, not as much as the first one. I got confused by what was happening and when (it skips around a bit) but that's probably on me and not the book.
(339 pages; 3.50 stars)

Book 55 - Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine
What better way to end the year than with an easily-read, graphic novel? Oh, maybe reading one that isn't supremely depressing and makes you question all human relationships. Happy New Year. Okay, okay, I'm over-reacting, it wasn't that bad, but the characters in Tomine's novel are pretty unlikeable and the plot is dismal. Tomine's work in the book (you know, art... writing... etc.) are great though and I'm hoping that his next book is a bit more encouraging.
(104 pages; 3.50 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment