5/19/11

Book 1 - Boy: Tales From Childhood

by, Roald Dahl
176 pages - 3.50 stars

Is it just me or did everyone have an obsession with Roald Dahl when they were kids? Anyone? No? Alright. Well, for me, Roald Dahl books were amazing! Matilda, BFG, etc. I loved them all. In my adulthood, I've heard a lot more about Roald Dahl as a person and I don't think anyone will be shocked that he was a little weird, but that doesn't bother me. Weird is good, weird makes you not average.

Boy is the story of Roald Dahl's childhood which is appropriately weird and bleak but also comical in a way that you can see influenced his writing. I see the genesis of a number of his characters and it's a reminder that Dahl is from a different time. He feels contemporary to me but he really isn't. He was born in 1916 after all.

For anyone who is a fan of Roald Dahl, the book is a good read. It is a nice snapshot of his childhood and is extremely digestible. And if I can recommend it for nothing else (which is not the case), it did instill in me a brief obsession with travelling to Norway. Anyone care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment