3/24/10

Book 12 - The Kindness Revolution by Ed Horrell

I read this book a few weeks back and never posted my review but the book has continued to turn around and around in my brain.

The Kindness Revolution is, essentially, a business maxim on why it pays to be decent to your customers rather than treating them like disposable objects (I've drilled it down quite a bit but you get the point). Ed Horrell, the author, works in the capacity of a customer service consultant (from what I can tell) and helps businesses make meaningful changes in the way they run their customer service departments and how they treat their customers.

I picked this book up when I was acting as the customer service department for my last company but what's important to remember that "customer" is just another way of saying "person you come into contact with." The Kindness Revolution is ostensibly a business book but it's really about a personal approach to life. The people who "get it" - those chronicled in the book - don't see work as the only place for kindness. In the end, it's that trait that sets you apart - regardless of what industry you work in.

I know I've complained about business books before (see my review of Outliers) but I was pleasantly surprised at my reaction to The Kindness Revolution. This book actually did what I always hope business books will do - it invigorated me and reaffirmed what I already believed without making me feel like all the information was regurgitated.

And, in case you don't yet believe in the power of kindness, my very own AWESOME customer service experience:
A few weeks back I had my phone stolen out of my hand by a handful of hoodlums in my neighborhood. I was pushed down and incredibly started but unhurt - except that I had lost my 5 months old, very expensive HTC Eris (which I love). We all know cell phone companies dwell in an extra special, dank cave of disgust so I expected to call Verizon and fight for a discounted new phone (full retail is at a ridiculous $500). I was extremely pleased when the customer service rep showed actual concern over my predicament and not only helped me to get a replacement phone (for an extremely reasonable fee) but helped to get it in my hand immediately as I was travelling the next day. Steve made this frustrating, sort of humiliating experience so much the better because I didn't have to feel guilty about "losing" my phone. I've always had fairly okay interactions with Verizon but trust me, nothing to write home about. This one experience has put Verizon in a small group of companies that I will remain loyal to, regardless of what fancy new options are presented to me by other companies. Who else has had this type of interaction with their cell phone company?! Amazing.

Interested in what you've heard?
Check out The Kindness Revolution's Corporate Site
Follow Ed Horrell on Twitter or visit his personal website
Read the DailyGood's 5 Ways to Start a Kindness Revolution at Work

No comments:

Post a Comment