11/3/09

Bad Manager, Bad!

It's no secret that part of the reason I started Quitsville (and quit my job) was to rid my life of a certain boss I had who just simply did not fit the version of my life I was trying to cultivate.

I don't want to throw stones (maybe I've gotten that out of my system in real life) but there was always a part of my interaction with the BossWoman that seemed to stem from pure and simple playground tactics. BossWoman was actually a fairly sad caricature of a person - she had low self esteem and was underhanded to a degree that burned bridges to the ground before you could set foot on them.

That said, I did learn from BossWoman. As I recently red in the Inc.com article: The Best and Worst of Female Bosses, sometimes a bad example can be just as instructive (if not more) than a good one.

I've been lucky enough to have some really superb lady bosses and an additional fair number of exceptional lady non-bosses to mentor me through young adulthood into the more comfortable arena of older young adulthood. I'm a much more confident and focused young woman than I was before I met these ladies. They've helped me to develop a picture of myself and who I want to be and implement that in my life. But you know what, BossWoman is there on that list too - as much as I hate to admit it. BossWoman showed me more clearly than anyone else has where exactly my BS line is, what exactly I will put up with and what I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment