11/12/09

Road to the Record: Portable!


For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you already know that my Dr. Mario Game Boy Advanced cartridge arrived yesterday - at the office, where I could not play it! Needless to say, I was pretty excited and when I finally got a chance to play last night, the game did not disappoint.

As a wee tot, I played quite a bit of Dr. Mario on the actual Game Boy - in fact, it might have been where I played most of my Dr. Mario. The Game Boy Advance version of the game (played on the Nintendo DS just to make things even more confusing) sent me careening back in time to those many hours with my beloved grey brick. The DS has color of course, so that's different but it was a very familiar experience. I will say this for my aging eyes - dear god, that screen is tiny.



All in all, the experience was incredibly satisfying. I ended my first game with a score of 902,800 which I think is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, as you might have guessed, the first thing I did this morning was to bring up famed score site Twin Galaxies. Finding the high score for this is a bit tricky given the veritable hodge podge that I used to play it - Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS? What exactly would I use to gauge this score?

It turns out the DS doesn't have a high score registered (most likely because there isn't actually a Dr. Mario DS game) and the Game Boy Advance game is poorly represented (only one score). Any way you slice it though, my score measures up.

Dr. Mario Game Boy Advance High Score: 193,600 (Vickie Edel)
Dr. Mario Game Boy High Score: 522,000 (Nik Meeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment