6/12/11

Pizzeria Posto's Whole Hog!

For those of you who don't know, Tuesday was the 29th anniversary of my birth, otherwise known as my 29th birthday. I am a big fan of my birthday (and really, everyone's birthday) and this year, I decided to celebrate with a few of my favorite things - a big dinner with my nearest and dearest, a dinner sourced from local, well-treated (and well-cooked) ingredients, some good wine, and just a splash of adventure.

Luckily for me, Davis Square is home to the much hallowed Pizzeria Posto, a delightful wood-fired pizzeria that bases its changing menu on what's in season and super fresh and has some pretty delicious options. Nate and I recently tried Pizzeria Posto for the first tmie and enjoyed a delightful meal (and an awesome basil gimlet) with Fireman Ben. It was during this dinner that we devised the perfect meal for celebrating a 29th birthday.

Pizzeria Posto, in line with a number of other Boston are eateries, offers its diner the chance to experience a pretty unique food offering in the form of an entire pig. They ask for 2 weeks notice and at least 10 guests and in return, the pick out a local pig for you, brine it for over a day, and cook it for hours. They pair it with some delicious sides and, if you're the birthday girl, they give you an amazing tiramisu.

Pizzeria Posto's Famiglia Dinner appealed to me for a number of reasons - one, it's the kind of meal that is an event in itself and pairing it with my birthday made it really feel like a holiday, everything is super fresh and local (and yummy) and Posto really wants to make you feel loved. They treat the meal as an event for them too, explaining all of the steps to you and encouraging the ambitious to try something new (pig brain anyone?).

It was a delicious meal with delightful friends and I didn't even have to figure out the check - thanks Nate! I was pretty darn full afterward but what a fantastic way to usher in the last year of my 20s.


For the record, I did try brain (as well as cheek, neck, and toe!) and I didn't love it. It was more of a texture than a taste but thanks to Sanjay, Ben, and Steve for diving in with me.

P.S. Posto wraps everything up for you (no, we did take the brain) and I've made some yummy ragu from the sausage filling and some spicy green chili & pork tacos with the tenderloin. The meal keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment