12/3/10

Books 37-41: A Recap

Another recap of books read when I was not blogging... but I swear... I will start blogging again!

This book was pretty amazing... and shocking. Amazing because she really pulls you into the daily lives of North Koreans, what it's like to live under a fantastical dictator, in poverty, etc. And shocking because wow, I know so very little about North Korea. It's easy in our ever-connected society to become jaded about the unknown (i.e. think there is no unknown) and it's shocking to find out that you know very little about a veritable genocide going on in current times. The North Korean story is shockingly stark and sad and Barbara Demick does an amazing job of clarifying and expanding the viewpoint that you have about the country and its viewpoints. (314 pages, 4.5 stars)

Book 38 - Awkward Situations for Men by Danny Wallace
Oh Danny Wallace... how I have loved you these many years (some of you might remember Danny from Friends Like These) and how you have forsaken me. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic but I'll be honest, I was disappointed by Mr. Wallace's most recent effort. Sure, it was still entertaining and I did laugh out loud once or twice but it wasn't in his wheelhouse. Danny Wallace excels at telling ridiculous stories about plans or missions or silly projects - long stories that develop. Awkward Situations is more anecdotal, more essays than a plotline. I missed Danny's developments and long stories... I hope the next book will be more like the Danny of old!
(256 pages, 3.75 stars)

Book 39 - Cop in the Hood by Peter Moskos
I think I bought this book when I was obsessed with The Wire which makes me feel both embarrassed and intrigued. Peter Moskos is a sociology student interested in documenting a year with the Baltimore PD who is, sort of unexpectedly, thrust into becoming an actual cop. The stories are heartwarming, infuriating, disheartening, disgusting, etc. He admits that it is a very small snapshot of real life on the force but the book is interesting none the less. I might have asked for some snappier writing but it was a research project after all. (280 pages, 3.5 stars)

Book 40 - Towelhead by Alicia Erian
I'd heard about Towelhead for awhile so I took advantage of my handy kindle app and downloaded the book. Thought I was pretty engaged in the book and thought a lot about it while reading it, I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or thought it was good. Does this happen to other people? The book was pretty sensationalist and it was difficult for me to tell if this was deliberate, to prove a point (that I might not have gotten) or if it was sensationalism instead of good plot development and writing. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to folks, so I guess that helps to determine my actual opinion.
(336 pages, 3.5 stars)

Book 41 - When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
I was drawn to When You Reach Me because it's a Newbury Award Winner. For the record, yes, I know I am not a young adult; that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good young adult novel. And Rebecca Stead's book is just that - a really good young adult novel. It pulls in conventions and plot points from other young adult books that I love (Hello A Wrinkle in Time!) but more than that, the characters are well developed, they have clear voices, and the plot is strong and unexpected. Well done Rebecca! I thoroughly enjoyed this book (even as an adult!) and have already been recommending it.
(208 pages, 4.5 stars)

Stay tuned for more books!

No comments:

Post a Comment