1/25/10

Book 4 - Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman

Subtitled A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota, Chuck Klosterman's Metal Biography is just as much about growing up in the middle of nowhere, slightly confused and disillusioned, as it is about Motley Crue or Poison.

I admit, I neither grew up in the middle of nowhere (though I was confused and disillusioned from time to time) nor did I grow up listening to metal - glam, heavy, or otherwise. I am about a decade younger than Chuck (to be exact, he is 10 years and 2 days older than me), we're of different genders, and I was into punk rock growing up (fodder for an entirely different blog post). That said, I enjoyed Fargo Rock City. I've read a handful of Chuck Klosterman's other books and can honestly categorize myself as a fan.

Fargo Rock City is his earliest book and you can feel his inexperience in book writing as well as you can see the Klosterman style that's going to come out of it. Sure, he's snarky and can be judgemental; he over analyzes just about everything and he's a little paranoid. But really, I didn't care. I found myself interested in the minutiae of bands I haven't ever heard of. That's what Chuck Klosterman does to you. I even found myself thinking about purchasing some tickets to the local stop on the American Carnage Tour.

Chuck Klosterman isn't me and he's probably not you, but his writing (as well as his story) is accessible and relatable. There are certain things about being a teenager that are shared despite decade, location, etc. I know it's cliche but you know it's true.

This book won't be for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it to either of my parents, for instance (no offense guys), but there are a lot of people who will enjoy it. Are you a metal fan (or a closet metal fan)? Are you a Chuck Klosterman fan? Are you often worried about your cool quotient (it's okay - I am too)? Give it a shot.

I'll apologize in advance for the rest of this post but Chuck's a well known guy. There are lots of links.

Turns out Sonya's a big fan of Chuck too - read about her Chuck love on her blog

Even more Chuck love on Don's Ego

Read an Interview (Part 1 and Part 2 in fact) with Chuck K. on SlashFilm

Just for fun - why not follow Chuck Klosterman on Twitter?

End Note: There are Internet rumors that Fargo Rock City is being made into a movie by a Letterman writer and at least one member of The Hold Steady. A coming of age rock opera? READ ABOUT IT

No comments:

Post a Comment