1/19/10

The Silent Unemployment

Some of you might have noticed a bit of a lag in my posting on the economy. I'm the first to admit that I don't have the same fire around the economy/recession/unemployment as I used to - but I'm not sure it's just me. From the start of Quitsville, I've relied on my Google Reader to bring blog ideas to me and for months it has been a great source for me. Lately though, it feels a little sparse. Sure, I'm getting the same number of posts about cute animals and crafts (we all have guilty pleasures in our Readers right?) but thought provoking articles on the state of the nation's job market and workers just haven't been popping up quite as often as they used to.

Is it me?

I have a few theories on this that I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to hear.

1. We've plateaued
Sure, things aren't that much better - we're not where we were 18 months ago or 2 years ago - but they've sort of stopped getting worse. Unemployment isn't ratcheting up with quite the same frequency of 6 months ago, we're not caught in the same tailspin of financial ruin that we were before. The recession has plateaued and eventually, it doesn't become news anymore, it's just normal.

2. We're moving on
Similar to the point above - after a year of fear, apprehension, and waiting for the other shoe to drop, we've all decided to move on. The economy has improved, slightly, but it hasn't bounced back with the ferocity we were all hoping. Folks can only wait so long to see how things shake out - eventually, they have to move on with life and make decisions without the economy being the sole factor.

3. It's just me
Maybe it is just me. I'm not convinced this is the case since I'm not seeing the same prevalence of articles in my Reader and in Newsletters but it's definitely possible that it's just me.

What do you think? Are we moving forward?

1 comment:

  1. I think the moving on thing is probably what is going on...there's other news that is getting more attention than continued mediocraty in the job market/economy overall. Healthcare, for one, has dominated the news for a good 6 months now if not longer.

    Combination of that and the "plateau" means people aren't talking about it much. If something really changes (for better or worse) than we'll probably hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete