9/25/09

Innovate or Die

Some of you might know that my new job is at a company that is practically nonexistent. Not in terms of passion or output or even relevance but in terms of actual, physical employees. Seriously, I could fit all of the full timers in my car and drive them to the company meeting. If we had such things.

I've had a handful of jobs in my life - most of which have been at smallish companies. (I believe we covered this a little in the post Corporate America is Missing the Trust.) I've found that my personality and skill set just does not mesh well with staid bureaucracy and status quo ideas of production, job description, and worth. Okay, that was a little harsh but you get the point.

We all know that years ago it was the norm to put in your whole career with one (or a few) companies. Dedication and loyalty was rewarded and there were actual, honest to god pension plans! It's just not that way now - for most of us. The average job length is something ridiculous like 18 months and some people think nothing of flitting from one position to another. I don't quite fall into the new job every year mindset obviously but I do understand that I am not expecting to stay where I am forever.

I was talking to my Dad about my new job last night - he works for an unnamed giant company - and about how small companies can be a risk (I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to purchase the stock options from my old small company). The thing is, the big companies aren't any safer. Companies of all sizes and shapes have folded, experienced lay offs, frozen salaries, etc. In fact, one might argue that working for a small company - where you know everyone and people are truly more willing to pull together for the good of the all - might even be more secure in times of economic uncertainty. It certainly increases the chances for mind-blowing success!

Click here to read an article about Obama's love of the entrepreneur

No comments:

Post a Comment