10/9/09

Attack of the Video Game Outsiders!

I know it might be hard to believe but I have an update on The Road to the Record post from earlier this week. Actually, I supposed it would be more truthful to say that I did not tell you the entire story from our trip to Funspot, NH. What follows is entirely 100% true and hilarious.

It turns out that our weekend trip to Funspot coincided with the Video Game Outsider's Funspot Tourney - that's right, a full-fledged community of Video Game nerds were at Funspot the same weekend we were. Not only were they there (because really, what is Funspot if not Mecca for Video Game nerds?) but they brought along with them famed TwinGalaxies Referee David Nelson. Now, the members of VGO focused on games that were not Dr. Mario - which is good for me - but they did spend a lot of time on the Donkey Kong machine (duh) which resides only 2 machines down from the Dr. Mario machine.

Why is that relevant you ask?

Well, it means that for a good portion of my 810,000+ game there were a fairly large number of men standing around waiting for their turn. And, as it turns out, some of them were watching me play. Including famed TwinGalaxies Referee David Nelson! Okay, okay. I haven't officially thrown my hat in the ring for the Dr. Mario world record (sorry Quitsville - you hold no weight in video gaming magestry) but this was crazy! Actual people who were not my friends and loved ones watching me! Judging me! And... praising me!

That's right! I, your Intrepid Blogger, was approached by none other than the Video Game Outsiders. My entourage and I were eating pizza and drinking beer in the Funspot Tavern (yeah... I know) after the aformentioned game and this guy just comes over and starts talking to us about the game. Was I playing Dr. Mario earlier? Yes. For like a really long time? Yes. Do I know I have the #2 score? Yes (but actually, I believe it's #3 right now).

And he goes on to tell me how good I am and that I should get the record, etc. It was pretty amazing (which can be confirmed by said entourage). I was waiting to tell you all in case (by some minor miracle) they mentioned me in their podcast. They did not - which is sort of good and bad - but it's still amazing.

Click here to check out the Video Game Outsiders' Blog (and Podcast)

No comments:

Post a Comment