10/13/09

Job Search To Dos

This morning I read an interesting post at Applicant on the 7 Things You Need to do Each Day When Searching for a Job. It brought me back to the time when a giant post it note with 3 columns ruled my life... when it became clear to me that I absolutely needed to leave my job, I went about it in the way I go about most things by making (an incredibly anal-retentive, over-achieving, neurotic) list.

My list was simple:
1. Apply for a job
2. Make a connection
3. Think something positive

EVERY DAY. For me, this worked great. Yes, I didn't do every thing, every day, but the focus kept me moving forward. I always felt like I was making a step forward every day (whether or not I actually was). Applying to a job every day was fairly easy - don't get me wrong, they weren't all targeted but it at least got my name out there consistently.

For overall job searches, I found that using today's tools really helped me. I created RSS feeds for many of my job searches and every day I was bombarded by listings. Again, it doesn't mean that they were all good postings but it really helped beat the job search ennui that threatened to overtake me on a regular basis. I also connected with anyone and everyone I thought reasonable and possible. I reached out and made connections everywhere I went. Suffice to say, I was exhausted a lot of the time.

What are your job search tips? Anyone?

Check out these links for more great job search tips:
Applicant: 7 Things You Need to do Each Day When Searching for a Job
Help Wanted Hawaii: 10 Recession Job Search Tips
About.com's Job Search Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment