10/26/09

How to Survive Unemployment

Yesterday I read a post on the Personal Branding Blog about creating an "unemployment routine" for yourself while unemployed and it really reminded me how much "work" it can be to stay active, relevant, and motivated when you're unemployed.

Okay, I know it's not actual work but let's face it - part of the reason we don't consider it work is that we're not getting paid for it. I wrote about this phenomenon in my post Unemployment Sucks...Duh?. Some people seem to think that just because you're unemployed, you must be having the time of your life - sleeping in, doing anything you want, fraternizing with celebrities. Okay, maybe not that last one but you get the point. I admit that when I was unemployed (years ago), I did enjoy the first part of it. After I got over the sting of being let go, I went to the beach, I slept in, I read books. It was sort of like a vacation. But with a vacation, you always have the knowledge that you're going back to something. Eventually, the routine of not having something starts to eat away at your sanity, self-worth, etc.

All this is to say that yes, it's vital to have a set routine when you're out of work. And I don't mean the routine of sleep in, play video games, nap, eat - as tempting as it can be. I wrote recently about my Job Search To Dos and how they kept me sane and productive while looking for work and the concept is not so different. Having something that you do every day while you're unemployed helps to keep you moving forward - or at least gives you the impression that you are moving forward.

The Personal Branding Blog recommends getting up on time, being social, having daily tasks, etc. These are all great ways to stay focused on not being unemployed. For me, I did a lot of work on cutting expenses but one thing I did not cut was the gym - having a daily (okay, every-other-daily) routine of getting myself out of the house and to the gym was immensely helpful, not to mention the fact that working out lowered my stress level.

If you're looking for work, I strongly recommend setting up a schedule for yourself. Whether you do something every day or once a week, creating a routine will help to create relevance and worth in your actions. In a society that places most of one's worth in "what they do", this is vital.

Click here to read the full article from the Personal Branding Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment