10/28/09

My Secret Goal - Explained

I try not to use this blog for rants about books and authors and how much I love to read (I know, nerd) but you've probably gleaned that I am a big reader. Don't believe me? Check out my post 10,000 Pages and Counting

Anyway, what you might not know is that I have secret goals that involve writing. It's been my dream for quite awhile to see my name on the cover of a printed book. Clearly, I'm not there yet but I'm hopeful that it won't end up a "what if" kind of dream. When I was trying to think of goals to follow as Quitsville changed gears, I briefly toyed with the idea of making this one of my goals - actually writing a novel. It's desperately hard to get writing done with life in the way. In the end, I'm not sure anyone is interested in reading a blog about me trying to write. However, I'm not promising that in a year or two you won't be reading about my goal to get said book published. I mean really, what's better to follow then endless rejection letters on the road to success?

All of this is only chatter that is leading up to a post about John Irving. I know a lot of people thing his work is grotesque and inappropriate and just plain messed up, but John Irving is an example of why I want to write. He is the author of my all-time favorite novel (The Hotel New Hampshire) and I think his books are amazing. Sure, he's written a few things that were - for him, at least - sub par. But overall, his work is enthralling. His characters are meaty and engaging, his plot is incredibly dense, his books have literally taken over my life (when I was reading them). To say that I have incredibly respect and reverence for him as an author would not be saying too much.

And last night, I had the chance to see him read/speak through an independent bookstore here (check your local stores - he might be coming to you too!). I'd be lying if I tried to tell you that I wasn't a completely geeked out emotional mess because of it. Part of me was very nervous that he wouldn't live up to the stock I've put in him through his books. What if he was arrogant or annoying or *gasp* stupid?! We all know that good art can be made my bad people but dear god, what would that do to me?

Luckily, dear readers, that did not happen. He is obviously a very intelligent and deliberate man. He read briefly and then spoke at length about his process and his methods, how he finds his stories and how his novels come to be. He was grizzly and direct but also funny. I've always found his books to be funny - if incredibly dark - and it was wonderful to see where that comes from. He wasn't arrogant but definitely knows himself well enough to know where he excels and where he falls short. I did not get to shake his hand or meet him (books were pre-signed) but the experience was one that I will hold very close to my heart. It was only an hour (probably more like 45 minutes given the inefficiency of the local bookstore) but it was wonderful. He has no idea that he has personally affected me but he has. His books have been a big part of my life for a decade or so (and he's been writing for 40 years!) and if I had been able to speak to him, I would have thanked him for that.

I've now started his most recent novel (released yesterday): Last Night in Twisted River.

And you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment