8/9/09

Letdown is a part of life

You all read about my great first interview about a week ago. I still maintain that it was a great interview - that I was completely myself and that I connected with the folks at this company. It would have been a great next step for me. Sadly, I heard from them this week (ironically on Thursday) and they've decided to move forward with another candidate. The woman I interviewed with was extremely complementary and asked that we stay in contact because they are growing and would like to consider me for future positions. She was lovely about the whole thing but of course, I was disappointed and honestly, the part of me that is anxious about my future grew a little more anxious with this loss.

With a few days distance, I have more clarity on the experience. Of course I'm still disappointed but this seems to me the downfall of looking for a new job in this economic situation. When I tell people I am interviewing they are inevitably surprised that I am even getting interviews but the more I look, the more I am finding that I have no trouble getting interviews - it's finalizing the process that is more tricky. With more and more qualified and competent employees finding themselves without a job, more and more of them are willing to take a position that might have previously seemed too junior. As a result, those like myself are finding fiercer competition for the positions we're interested in.

It's a tough climate out there and I see that one of the hardest challenges of this new life path will be to not get discouraged when I'm not chosen for a job. Given that I am going to be discerning about my next step and wait for a position that I really think is right, it might be awhile before I find something that meshes for both myself and my future employer.

In the meantime, I'm on the lookout for exciting or interesting money making schemes... and I am open to suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard this segment on Marketplace Money: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/08/07/mm-frugal-bogger/

    I thought you might find it interesting.

    ReplyDelete