8/4/09

The Quitting Bandwagon

As you know, I'm currently reading The Quit by Evan Harris. Ms. Harris outlines the many styles and techniques of quitting as well as the emotional ups and downs of the process. For the most part, the book seems to be a bit satirical but there have been at least a few helpful pieces of advice.

1. Tell everyone you know that you have quit or are planning to quit.

As of last week, I'd only shared my quitting plan with my nearest and dearest - those people who were most affected by the work induced depression I was going through and were most likely to support my decision.

All that is over now. I've spread the word far and wide, to the outer fringes of my social circle. I'm telling people I've just met. Evan Harris has a point here. Regardless of whether they secretly think I am making a huge mistake, everyone also secretly wishes they could quit their own job. Without exception, I've found everyone jumping on my bandwagon, congratulating me and doing their best to come up with innovative ideas for part time work.

The effect of such unabashed support is twofold. One, I have become increasingly responsible for actually going through with quitting (something I know is the right idea but still terrifies me) and two, a renewed belief in my decision. Whenever I feel myself wavering in my resolve or feeling anxious at the confrontational aspect of quitting, I tell someone else.

You, dear readers, already know about my plan but I will tell you with more emphasis.

TWO DAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment